Tuesday 15 July 2014

I need Jesus...

I need me Jesus, a WiFi and a stocked fridge with everything I might need to get going to be able to fulfill the scriptures. Jesus to aid my salvation, WiFi to watch movies, chat and surf the internet unend and food as a basic need and I will just be fine. I don’t know about you but going through each day is an arduous task for me. The kind of bs I have to put up with by virtue of the role I play as a family, a friend, a colleague and a member of the community I find myself in, at any given time. The need to guide my mind against that of others, when to discard or hold on to an existing knowledge or a piece of information and the need to keep my mind open or close at alternate times can be debilitating but I still thrive because the pain has become the reason to love.

Jesus died painfully on the cross because he loves us. Wait! Is it Jesus Christ who loves us or it is his Father, God, who does? Maybe, both of them love us. But where do I place the Holy Ghost? Maybe all of them do hence the conspiracy to sacrifice Jesus for our sake. And all of these add up to the pain I mentioned in the earlier paragraph. Nothing makes sense anymore and it hurts to know that. Maybe it’s information overload which is fine by me because I can’t even allow myself to be labeled a basket case.

They claim it’s a free world and I can be anything I want to be but I dare not because I live in an institutionalized society where stereotyping is our stock-in-trade. We are supposed to go to the Mosque on Fridays, attend church through Saturday to Sunday even though some denominations have taken it a notch further. We also attend school from Monday to Friday, vote at a given time, expected to marry and become a parent at a certain time and many other expectations which have timelines even against the back drop of what I want to be. 

According to the law of consequence which is in harmony with the world and by extension, order, a man reaps what he sows making everyone responsible for their own actions and inactions. But in another vein, Jesus Christ came to die to redeem and salvage all of us from our sinful ways and this right here contradicts the law of nature. Now my dilemma is should I just walk about expecting to reap what I sow, or be rest assured that Jesus’ death has already solved every thing? How can one person die to cleanse our sins when we are supposed to actually be responsible for our individual transgressions? Unless two analogies transits or comfortably fits into each other, one is discarded - leaving behind the one with the near precision so right here, we have to discard one of the theories which to me is another cul-de-sac.

Would it not be consistent with the laws of nature, nobler and responsible of us if we account for our lives rather than hiding in the shadows of Jesus Christ of Nazareth? Maybe, I am lost for wanting to know what Jesus’ death has got to do with this but again we were told in his own words that "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." So I don’t understand why Christians think Jesus came for everyone or everyone must go to the Father only through him who is the light of the world.

In Jesus own words, it is not everyone who needs him. Hence he did not come for everyone but those lagging behind which also means there are people in the forefront who are already doing well. So why do his followers think otherwise? Again he has admonished us not to be judgmental but our zealousness makes us assume his role as the judge when they should be working their salvation with trembling and fear. It is common for Christians to condemn other religions even though that is not their preserve.

Contrary to the popular opinion to what Jesus should look like, I saw one portrait of Jesus Christ looking like a rock artist wielding a goatee as he was been baptized and all I could mutter was anokwa. Christian’s inability to understand the nuances of Christianity has made it a ridicule and all of these sometimes makes Christianity appear to me like a child’s play. For instance, Christians do not believe in reincarnation because it is supposed to be a traditional belief yet they will preach to you about Jesus Christ’s resurrection and are even looking forward to die and meet him in Paradise and I just do not know what to believe anymore.

It is the contradictions and differences in ideologies and doctrines that have given birth to so many denominations in the realm of Christendom. There is no consensus as to what is right and no sense of unity among Christians so how do they expect to bring other religions into their fray? 

It is even pathetic how you are condemned when you ask in-depth and mind-boggling issues concerning the Christian faith and because I have become weary and sick from all this hot air, I have decided to forget about all these people and the related protocols to seek the Boss himself – the only reason why I need me Jesus.

The writer tweets @vilejah


No comments: