Monday 20 May 2013

Terms and Conditions apply!

The need to write this piece was borne after one of my numerous encounters with one of the customer service personnel of Mobile Telecommunications Network (MTN) who practically gave me the impression as though she was doing me a favor.

“Hello and welcome to MTN, your call will be recorded for training purposes. For Twi, press one, for Ga, press two, bla, bla, bla….” And the pre-recorded voice trails off unless otherwise, but I doubt if they do retrieve and playback those back-up tapes for the said training or they just are learning other things I’m not privy to.

Undoubtedly, MTN is one of the biggest Telecommunication Companies who has fallen sub-par the giant status they carry about and as the best when it comes to provision of Telecommunication services. It’s rightfully so, because it looks like, they have shifted their focus from their core objective of up-time and reliable provision of services to sponsoring of programmes and provision of corporate social responsibilities. 

The lady in question made me look stupid for subscribing to their network. Her actions, depicted by the way she interacted with me also gave me the impression that I could stop subscribing to their network if I like and still there would be millions of Ghanaians who will patronize them. And, all I could ask myself after that dead-end call for help was to ask myself why I was still hooked on to their grid. I felt the need to stop using any services that had to do with telecom services, but, you know what that meant. I was going to severe ties with friends and family since there would be no form of communication, neither would I be able to publish this post. I would be perpetually out of coverage area and you can imagine how I would fare.

While pondering over the series of the appalling services these Telcos provide us, I came to the conclusion that we as a clientele base contributes to the shambolic services these service providers in tend provides us. We don’t take our part of the various contracts seriously, which is why these companies always have a field day. 

Modern dispensation has made it imperative for us as a people to continually go into contracts we are not even aware of, which unfortunately have legal bindings on us. These contracts if explored to the letter and the clauses thereof can get us into serious troubles our families cannot even redeem us from.

If you have a presence on social media, be it Twitter, Whatsapp, Facebook, Picasa, Tumblr, Foursquare, Instagram and what have you, then chances are that, you have entered into a contract with a third party application provider just by installing the application, which is usually free of charge.  As to if there are embedded costs and how this companies fare, would be another topic for later discussion.

How many of us take our time to actually read the License Agreements that comes with these soft wares? How do you know your rights and responsibilities that come with installation of these applications? How do you know your responsibilities with regards to the liabilities therein, should something happen?  How can you even sue these companies when all you did was to just click ‘next’, ‘next’ and then ‘finish’ to get your application running?

Somewhere in 2004, I managed to read the License Agreement that comes with Microsoft Windows operating systems, specifically that of Windows98 during one of my installation sessions to the very end, even though it was not making sense. I had to because I figured it was not there for its own sake. It’s purpose-driven and for a reason. 

Usually, these contracts state at the bottom of the License Agreements that “You are now aware of your rights. Click next to continue” and I ask, are we not allowing ourselves to be led to the slaughter house by just consenting to these agreements without knowing what they entail?

All these contracts and transactions have terms and conditions applying to them and it is what we should be looking out for, to see for ourselves what will be in stock for us should we validate such contracts to full blown statuses. 

Our ignorance about these terms and conditions that applies also accounts for the reason why some people win raffles but are not able to redeem their prizes. These companies know most of us will not have the time to read this supposed ‘chaff’ and this only plays advantageously to their gallery. They sure know that you will be found wanting when the day of reckoning comes, so beware.

We have to take some of these things seriously so that customer service personnel of service provider companies should not feel like they are doing us a favor since they would have known that we have actually read and understood the terms and conditions that applies, thus our rights!


10 comments:

Enock said...

Nice piece.

Efo Dela said...

The only person to have ever read the terms and condition is Bilbo Baggins the Hobbit as seen in the movie, "The Hobbit".
In my opinion the terms and conditions are written in small prints and made long to discourage people from reading them

tiodoor said...

Just to chip this in.......The funny thing is, we have options but we have no options. No mobile operator in Ghana to my best of knowledge offers a one-stop service for the most of its subscribers.

Many of us don't fancy holding two cell phones but what choice have we.

Now back to the main issue.
Our laziness has gotten the better part of us. Those fine prints are boring to read, but in many cases for our telcos, they hardly even provide it for you. All you see is
'' *Terms and conditions apply. ''

tiodoor said...

Now as to what these are, only God can tell. I took the liberty to call Vodafone helpline to tell me what the terms and conditions for one of their promos was. It was pathetic. The CSR was shamelessly ignorant. And when I asked what happens if I subscribe and I fail to enjoy the service due to a fault of theirs, all she told me was that no fault can happen.

tiodoor said...

At this point, I felt I needed to prevent me from getting sick, so I nicely ended the call.

Fantaxy said...

Thanks, Enock

Fantaxy said...

That's what it appears to be for everyday and social contracts such as the ones we go into...

Fantaxy said...

That was smart of you to know where to have bowed out. Lol

Namoji Obese said...

As someone who works in a service industry I must say that the poor customer services thing is not peculiar to only the Telcos, the thing is most of the people who r available to us to employ are mentally not apt for customer service, but they are what is available, if as a Manager I sack staff for poor customer service, I'll be employing new staff always. Training helps but not much. if one is fortunate he get one or two people who. are actually naturals.

As for the contract agreements issue, if I'm not gonna understand what I'm reading why bother to read?

FanTaxY said...

Lol, the Customer service inadequacy is real and must be refined to suit the value customers want for their money.

at least, we can acknowledge the fact that we are doing something wrong as consumers