Monday 13 August 2018

Tribute - To The Departed


I do not intend to belabor the sad incident since everyone who matters is distraught and disoriented but someone’s feeling can never be mine so I just deem it appropriate to state the way I see and feel about the sudden and untimely loss of a dear friend.


Even though we all know death is inevitable and could come calling any moment from now but somewhere in our thoughts, we find ourselves indestructible, invisible and immuned to ominous death until it pips one of us. I must say I was frozen in my seat after a hard days hustle when I heard the sad news of the passing away of Nana Turkson aka Bertrand King. I felt a lot of indescribable things at the same time but the highlight of it all was my inactivity until I finally managed to heave a long sigh. 

I have not met the young man in flesh before but I can conveniently say we are friends because we have interacted on so many occasions here on social media for the past 8years. It all began after being Facebook friends when I slid into his inbox one afternoon. I needed help and found it convenient to contact him because of his strategic standing in the entertainment space. I was struggling with one of the many things I wanted to do with my life, music. I wanted to be a musician and seeing his in-depth know-how in the game and his web of network, I did not hesitate to contact him just so he can listen to my demos and take it from there.

We found out we gelled on other things than music and have been chatting since. Even though he was mostly in the eye of the public, he comes as a shy person. He was respectful, affable, patient and thoughtful. He was helpful, humorous and dependable. He would come to my inbox from time to time to ask me how I was doing with my music or when I publish a note he found thoughtful. The last time he asked of my music endeavor was on the 15th of July which happens to be my birthday, when I told him about how that ship had wrecked long time ago and I have since counted my loss. Did he like it, no? But I was quick to tell him that I was young and naïve then and we both laughed and bade each other good bye until whence. 

I considered him as a big brother because of how he comes checking up on me and how I was faring. It meant a lot to me and thankfully I made it known to him while he could still feel it. I told him about his amazing persona while he was still prowling this dog-eat-dog world. I must say I have learnt a lot from him and to give myself some closure for his inability to bade a goodbye, it is only right that I dedicate this lines of mine to him.


Why death antagonizes life, I don’t know 
Why must death always have the last say?
No matter what time in life, it makes us pay
Deep within its recesses, life is shallow
Always living behind sorrow
Yesterday you were here, today it’s all memories
The ef sound in death deflated your bubbly life
Dimmed your light when it wasn’t even twilight
Though speechless, may the yonder treat you kindly
And keep your gentle soul until we meet again
We will miss you Nana Turkson aka Bertrand King
Rest in Peace.
Nante Yie!
                                                                                                                                                                 



Writer tweets @vilejah

No comments: