Tuesday 24 December 2013

Making sense in a senseless world

“The middle of both sides is the asshole” – Anonymous
 
How logical is it for Marriage Counselors to be filing divorce every now and then? How about animal rights activists adorned in leather foot wears with fine belts strapped around their waist still preaching against the killing of animals for social or economic gains? How sensible is it, if buck doesn’t sound like fuck or fuck sounding like fork, yet are worlds apart when it comes to what they mean and represent? How about the Church admonishing the youth to stick to one sexual partner when it is their preserve to ensure that, they don’t even stick at all or engage in amorous relationships until they are actually ready or Police Officers getting apprehended for stealing the very things they were recruited to safeguard?

Evidently, these and many more examples that might bore you to the marrow do not make sense, unless you find yourself in the position of these unfortunate people who always give us a reason to appear sanctimonious.

Even though I am sometimes compelled to conform to the norms and play to the gallery, the only times I do not feel the need to justify my actions and inactions is when I am in control of myself, and as rare as those moments may be, these moments serves as a platform for me to throw caution to the wind and express myself very well.

These moments; the only time, people’s opinion and observations do not matter to me, the only time I happen to deviate from the norm and fall outside people’s expectations and do not give a damn about their comments and reservations.  The only time I project my imperfections as if they were my best features and attributes (trump card). Sincerely, these transient and amazing but exceptional moments, only leaves in its wake an awesome feeling, making me wish it had lingered on for a while, simply because it turns out to be a moment of yet another personal discovery.


Why do we go through thorns and thistles to pick rotten mangoes we can’t eat anyway? Why do we try to explain ourselves even if nobody seems interested in our explanations? Is it to boost our ego or to be accepted as part of the fray? Do we feel inadequate and inferior enough to be the ones to set the standards? It beats my mind why we try so hard to make sense in a senseless world? 

Somehow, I found myself trying to get the right spelling for a practical joke we used to indulge in, way back from my childhood, which comes in the form of teasing, and the realization dawned on me that, I wasn’t making sense to myself. I also realized that, it was the more reason why we should be guided by prudence to let sleeping dogs lie, unless there is an intruder we want it to bark at. I just could not tell if the game was called shiela, sheela or shila o shila as the intro that always preceded the game, but the consciousness was enlightening all the same. A highlighting moment where I realized that, so many things do not make sense if you look at them critically. Yeah, the closer you look, the less you see.

It’s funny how we sway to and fro like a pendulum because we all want to follow where the road leads. It is even disturbing when the queued up folks who usually don’t have a mind of their own are making it difficult for the daring ones to tear away. They indirectly ask you to be like them or you risk being liked by them. 

Evidently, being a loner is no child’s play and only attributive of those who know where they are coming from and by extension where they are going, which behooves the individual to make up their minds. It is serious business being a loner who doesn’t yield to group-think simply because they trust their instincts and abilities as unique individuals. So, by all means from the year 2014 and beyond, go where you want to go, say what you want to say and be who you want to be as long as you are not cloning anyone.  Cross your t’s and dot your i’s and stop justifying yourself to your audience because they will watch and comment anyway. Just believe in yourself and spearhead your life because being in the middle only makes you an asshole!

Merry Christmas to you, my cherished reader. May you enjoy the yuletide to the max!

No comments: